There are so many variables to consider when you begin your search for where you will retire. Many of my clients have spent many years working hard in their careers and raising families in frosty New England cities or in snowy Midwestern towns - wherever their jobs have taken them. Now that it’s your turn to decide where you will live, how do you know if Hilton Head and Bluffton is the right choice? Read on to find out the top reasons that make our community a special place to live…
1. Expand Your Mind – The Osher Life Long Learning Center offers classes on everything from history, to photography, to gardening, and much, much more. Spring and Fall class schedules allow residents to explore new interests throughout the year. The World Affairs Council is another very popular and challenging series of events, with membership open to all who would like to participate. Diverse and highly regarded speakers are selected to present different viewpoints and ideas to stimulate discussion. Most attendees find the content thought provoking and worthy of conversation, long after the session is over.
2. Environmentally Conscious Community – I smiled last weekend as a client remarked about how good our air quality was. It’s not by chance. Many years ago, area residents fought hard to keep a chemical plant from being built on the banks of the Colleton River. Thank goodness they did, or this might be a very different place. While good jobs are important, instead of industry that pollutes, the community hopes to increase its tech sector and is proactively offering coding training to qualify people for the jobs needed in these new businesses. Hilton Head and Bluffton took a big step recently when they banned the use of single use plastic bags to protect our beaches and waterways.
3. Culture & History - The availability of culture is one of many things that sets our community apart. We have a lively music scene. If you appreciate live music, check out the Jazz Corner, The Roasting Room, The Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra, Coligny Theater, Ruby Lee’s South, Poseidon, and other music venues. If you like theater, the Arts Center of Coastal Carolina and Lean Ensemble produce some terrific shows. Long before modern day development, Hilton Head Island held a unique place in our nation’s history. Notably, Mitchellville was the very first Freedmen’s town in the US. Today, the Gullah people, continue to contribute greatly to the cultural richness and history of our area.
4. The People have Big Hearts – I suppose any area could claim this, so you must come for a visit to see for yourself! The generosity of the people who live here is overwhelming, giving of their time, talent and treasure. Locals serve as mentors, volunteers at the Coastal Discovery Museum, workers on Habitat for Humanity builds, or as participants in one of the hundreds of volunteer organizations that make our community a better place to live. It’s easy to get involved. Because most of us have experienced relocating here at one time or another, you will find locals exceptionally welcoming – always ready to open their hearts a bit more to make newcomers feel at home.
5. Small town feel, with world class amenities - While the population of Hilton Head dramatically expands during the summer, the rest of the year residents have the benefit of all the many restaurants, golf courses, shopping and other amenities of a world-renowned resort. If you like knowing your neighbors and feeling rooted in community, Hilton Head and Bluffton are great matches. Whether going out for dinner or shopping for things to make your own, it is fun to see friends and neighbors and catch up – even for just a few minutes.
6. Emphasis on Wellness - What good is retirement if you’re not healthy enough to enjoy it? The climate here lends itself to outdoor activities including, walking, biking, golf, tennis, and more all year long. With extended seasons for swimming, kayaking, and paddle boarding, there are plenty of ways to keep fit. Hilton Head has been recognized as a Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Community. Leisure trails on the Island and Bluffton connect many communities with shopping, dining and things to see and do. The wellness offerings in our community include the Hilton Head Health Institute and a wide range of fitness programs. If you enjoy group activities, check out a barre, orange theory or yoga classes.
Ready to start looking for your forever home and forever community? Call me and let’s get started!